So, it is Gujarat Giants Women against the UP Warriorz women today. Both teams are clashing against each other again on 20 March 2023. The position on the points table isn’t anything to brag about. While UP Warriorz has a stronger position, Gujarat GIants can take it away from them anytime if they shift the gears. Hence, this match was pretty exciting because of its high stakes. Don’t worry if you are ready to watch this match. We will cover all aspects of it in this article.
The Warriorz will be buoyed by their recent victory over the table-toppers, the Mumbai Indians. Their spinners emerged ahead on a track that favoured spinners and controlled what was happening.
They’d be supporting their spinners again as the wickets became lower and slower.
They also have a solid hitting lineup. In their previous encounter, the Giants were blown away by a stunning knock by Sophie Devine.
It was a demoralizing setback for them, which might have a psychological impact. If they want to make a comeback today, they must fire as a unit.
Gujarat Giants v UP Warriorz – Match details
|Brabourne Stadium, Mumbai|
|Match||Gujarat Giants v UP Warriorz|
|Date||Monday, March 20, 2023|
|Umpires||Sanjay Kumar Singh|
|TV Umpire||Madanagopal Kuppuraj|
|Reserve Umpire||N Janani|
|Match Referee||GS Lakshmi|
|GUJARAT GIANTS||UP WARRIORZ|
|Sophia Dunkley||Devika Vaidya|
|Laura Wolvaardt||Alyssa Healy|
|Harleen Deol||Kiran Navgire|
|Dayalan Hemalatha||Tahlia McGrath|
|Ashleigh Gardner||Grace Harris|
|Sushma Verma||Deepti Sharma|
|Ashwani Kumari||Sophie Ecclestone|
|Kim Garth||Simran Shaikh|
|Monica Patel||Anjali Sarvani|
|Sneh Rana||Parshavi Chopra|
|Tanuja Kanwar||Rajeshwari Gayakwad|
1st innings – Gujarat Giants
- Dunkley and Wolvaardt got their team off to a fast start, putting the bowlers under strain immediately.
- Sarvani, on the other hand, outplayed the latter, and Gayakwad scored twice in the last over of the powerplay to send Wolvaardt and Deol flying.
- Hemalatha and Gardner teamed together and played to the occasion.
- They took a while at first, but they attacked the opponents once they had their sight in.
- Both had their fifties and made a remarkable statement together.
- They left against the flow of play in the slog overs, but they had completed their mission by then.
- Parshavi Chopra was the UP bowler of choice, as the teenager bowled with finesse and was rewarded.
- Gayakwad was also outstanding with her spin; 179 will not be easy to beat.
2nd Innings – UP Warriorz
- UP was in trouble after losing three fast wickets in the powerplay. McGrath, on the other hand, had other plans.
- She aimed for her fluent best right away and found an able comrade in Grace Harris. They maintained the board running and threw away the poor balls.
- They maintained the run rate under control and got their team back into the game.
- Gardner defeated McGrath and restored optimism to her side.
- Deepti Sharma left immediately, but Harris switched gears and maintained pressure on the opponents.
- Ecclestone kept her company and led their team to the verge of triumph.
- Harris did leave on the 19th, but she had completed her task by then. When UP required three out of three balls, a run-out occurred.
- On the other hand, Ecclestone held her calm and struck the winning runs, getting her team over the finish line with one ball remaining.
- UP Warriorz kept their composure to secure their playoff position!
|Gujarat Giants won the toss and chose to bat first.|
|GUJARAT GIANTS 178-6|
|Ashleigh Gardner 60(39)||Parshavi Chopra 2-29|
|Dayalan Hemalatha 57(33)||Rajeshwari Gayakwad 2-39|
|Sophia Dunkley 23(13)||Sophie Ecclestone 1-27|
|Laura Wolvaardt 17(13)||Anjali Sarvani 1-21|
|TARGET = 179 runs|
|UP WARRIORZ 181-7|
|Grace Harris 72(41)||Kim Garth 2-29|
|Tahlia McGrath 57(38)||Ashleigh Gardner 1-29|
|Sophie Ecclestone 19(13)||Tanuja Kanwar 1-32|
|RESULT = UP Warriorz won by three wickets|
|PoM = Grace Harris|
Player of the match
Grace is proving to be the match-winner for UP again. If not for her 72 runs, this chase wouldn’t have been possible.