Here are the highlights between Multan Sultans and Lahore Qalandars. The match is played on 13 February 2023. It was the series opener played at the Multan Cricket Stadium. It didn’t start on time, though. In this article, we will talk about match highlights.
Lahore Qalandars gave a target of 175 runs, and Multan lost the game by one run. Multan was 174-6 at the end of their innings. What a start from the defending champs.
So if you missed this match, then don’t worry. We got you covered here. So without any delay, let’s get right into it.
|Multan Cricket Stadium|
|Match||Multan Sultan v Lahore Qalandar|
|Date||Monday, February 13, 2023|
|TV umpire||Faisal Afridi|
|Reserve umpire||Shozab Raza|
|Match Referee||Mohammad Anees|
Multan Sultans won the toss and chose to field first. It has been expected for teams to choose to field first. It increases their chance of winning the match.
|Lahore Qalandars||Multan Sultans|
|Fakhar Zaman||Shan Masood|
|Mirza Baig||Mohammad Rizwan|
|Shai Hope||Usman Khan|
|Kamran Ghulam||David Miller|
|Sikandar Raza||Kieron Pollard|
|Hussain Talat||Khushdil Shah|
|David Wiese||Akeal Hosein|
|Liam Dawson||Usama Mir|
|Shaheen Shah Afridi (c)||Sameen Gul|
|Haris Rauf||Shahnawaz Dahani|
It was Lahore Qalandar’s batting. According to the commentators, the expected score on this pitch was 170-185, and the defending champs got it. They scored 175-5. It was all thanks to Fakhar Zaman scoring the first fifty of the HBL PSL 8. You can see the match summary below.
|Fakkhar Zaman 66(42)||Usama Mir 2-25|
|Tahir Baig 32(26)||Ihsanullah 2-37|
|Sikandar Raza 19(14)||Akeal Hosein 1-31|
|Shai Hope 19(17)||Shanawaz Dahani 1-40|
- After Fakhar Zaman and Mirza Tahir Baig were out, lower-middle-order batsmen found it difficult to dominate the game entirely.
- They recovered slightly in the next few overs, scoring 45 off the final four overs.
- Hussain Talat scored a quick 20, and Sikander Raza gave much-needed energy to the attack.
- Usama Mir and Akeal Hosein, the spin-bowling pair, didn’t allow Lahore to go off the hook and had a good time spinning on this pitch.
- There ought to be lots of support for spinners.
- Dahani didn’t have a good time on the field. He missed a pretty easy run-out of Sikander.
Multan had to chase 175 runs in 20 overs. This meant that they were starting with 8.75. They had a pretty good start by Shan and Rizwan. But Hussain Talat provided a breakthrough, and Multan couldn’t recover since. Pollard did give them hope, but it was all in vain. In the end, Khushdil had a chance and pulled them as far as he could. But he failed to hit the last ball for six to take the Sultans to victory.
|Mohammad Rizwan 75(50)||Shaheen Afridi 1-27|
|Shan Masood 35(31)||Haris Rauf 1-37|
|David Miller 25(20)||Zaman Khan 1-29|
|Kieron Pollard 20(12)||Hussain Talat 1-16|
|Khushdil Shah 12(6)|
- Multan made 53-0 in the powerplay. It was quite the dominant start from the Sultans.
- The Sultans looked quite good until they lost their first wicket to Hussain Talat. Shan got out.
- Multan Sultans dominated for the whole pursuit until Shaheen Afridi and Haris Rauf bowled their hearts out in one of the best bowling displays of the season.
- But Rizwan lost his wicket, and that was the start of Multan’s collapse
- There was some hope in killer Miller, but he couldn’t get the momentum and get out at 25
- After this, there was a batting collapse.
- Pollard gave the Sultans some hope, but after his wicket, it was over.
- Zaman Khan bowled the last over. He successfully defended the 15 runs, and Lahore won by one run.
Man of the match
Sikandar Bakht presented the post-match ceremony.
HBL PSL 8 Player of the match award went to Fakhar Zaman. Fakhar was the highest scorer last year, and he started this season with quickfire 66 runs. He hit 5 sixers in this innings. Fakhar got a prize of 500k PKR.
Rizwan was disappointed they couldn’t add the final touch to their wonderful start.
Shaheen looked pretty confident in his bowling. He said he planned to take a wicket, and then they will control the game with his and Haris’s overs. And they executed this plan. He was disappointed at the fielding and aimed to improve it