The super-4 stage has started. And Bangladesh and Pakistan have started that with their match at Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore. It was pretty much a one-sided match. But there were certain moments when Bangladesh fought back. So much so that it worried Pakistan cricket fans on social media. Here is the video for highlights.
This was such a surprise. The match is a great start to the next stage of Asia Cup 2023. Hopefully, all the next matches will be good, only if Jay Shah’s political inclinations don’t ruin the show again.
Bangladesh won the toss. As expected, they have chosen to bat first.
|Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore
|Bangladesh vs Pakistan
|6 September 2023
|Ahmed Shah Pakteen
|Mehidy Hasan Miraz
|Shakib Al Hasan
|Shaheen Shah Afridi
1st Innings -Bangladesh 193-10
Bangladesh fought back hard after Pakistan’s pacers rattled their wickets. However, the partnership between Mushfiq and Shakib caused worries in Pakistan’s dugout. It was Fahim’s short ball that caused the end of this partnership. More details are as follows.
- Bangladesh were spooked during the powerplay as Naseem and Shaheen led the charge.
- Haris Rauf struck twice in his first two overs, leaving the visitors at 47/4.
- Bangladesh was rebuilt by Shakib Al Hasan and Rahim, two seasoned heads who each scored fifty.
- They capitalized on Pakistan’s sluggish middle-overs bowling, but Shakib holed out in the deep.
- Rahim was out of partners after that wicket, and he, too, was bowled trying to play a risky shot.
- Pakistan took the final four wickets in the space of eight deliveries.
- 194 should be an easy target.
|Mushfiqur Rahim 64 (87)
|Haris Rauf 4-19
|Shakib Al Hasan 53 (57)
|Naseem Shah 3-34
|Mohammad Naim 20 (25)
|Faheem Ashraf 1-27
2nd Innings – Pakistan 194-3
Pakistan sailed smoothly today. 194 isn’t a target to fret over. However, if it is Pakistan, you must be worried until the last ball has been bowled. Pakistan lost only three wickets but successfully chased the target.
- It was a triumph set up by their speed trio, with Imam at Rizwan adding the finishing touches with the bat. Bangladesh pushed and puffed with the ball despite having just 194 to defend.
- They maintained bowling tight lengths, and their pacers didn’t give up, but the pitch gave them little.
- Fakhar Zaman’s lean period persisted, and Babar received a low delivery.
- Imam escaped a couple near LBW cries to continue his love affair with Lahore – he now has two fifties and two hundred at this venue.
- Rizwan also found some form, finishing undefeated on 63 as Pakistan cruised to victory with over ten overs to spare.
|Imam-ul-Haq 78 (84)
|Shoriful Islam 1-24
|Mohammad Rizwan 63 (79)
|Taskin Ahmed 1-32
|Fakhar Zaman 20 (31)
|Mehidy Hasan Miraz 1-51
|Pakistan won by seven wickets at hand and 63 balls remaining
Man of the match
Haris Rauf has won the Man of the Match award. He claimed at the start of the tournament that he was aiming for the man of the tournament award. It is a good sign that he made the batters struggle on a pitch where a 300 score was nothing. His 4 wickets made it much easier for the batsmen to chase this small target. A well-deserved award indeed.