Afghanistan and Australia: this is a match you do not want to miss. Why? Well, we will tell you in this article why you should not miss match 39 of the 2023 Cricket World Cup played at Wankhede. Both teams want to win this match. But what are the realities? We will discuss the predictions, key players, highlights and more in this article. Also, find ball-by-ball commentary under this paragraph on the match date.
You don’t want to miss this match. But why? What is so special about this match? It seems like a bigger team like Australia will play against a minnow, but a rising team like Afghanistan. But there is more to the story than meets the eye.
Earlier, Australia rejected to play a series against Afghanistan for political reasons. However, now they need to beat Afghanistan to qualify for the semi-finals. Afghanistan pacer Naveen has taken a dig at the Australian team. He posted a story on Instagram saying that Australia should keep those political reasons in mind and boycott this match as well.
This gives us the idea that Afghanistan will step into the ground with the passion to win this game. This will also be a high-octane match as if they win it; they will qualify in the semi-finals for the first time in history.
So, you should not miss this match. And you can do that by knowing where to watch the live streaming.
|Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai|
|Match||Australia vs Afghanistan|
|Start of play||14.00 start IST|
|Date||7 November 2023|
|TV Umpire||Chris Gaffaney|
|Match Referee||Jeff Crowe|
Australia’s pursuit of semi-finals
Australia started slow, but they are right back on track. They haven’t lost a match since they won against Sri Lanka. Adam Zampa is in form, Travis Head is back, and David Warner has started to hit runs again. All of this has put the Aussies on the track to play the semi-finals, something that wasn’t looking possible if you look at their earlier form. But they have to win one more match to qualify. And it seems like the Aussies will go for the kill today.
Afghanistan’s dream journey
Afghanistan has had a dream journey so far. They are on the brink of getting a spot in the knockout stage. From winning no matches for a long time to defeating teams like Pakistan, Bangladesh, and England, they have been pretty great.
They must win this one to almost cement their place in the semi-finals for the first time in history.
The pitch has been leaking runs. If you look at the previous matches, the teams crossed 350+ runs thrice. This speaks a lot about Wankhede. However, it has been confusing a lot of cricket analysts as well. In one innings, you get to see high scores. In the next innings, you will see fast bowlers getting seam and swing like there’s no tomorrow.
From the Aussie side, David Warner and Travis head will play a huge part. This is a batting pitch, and if you get a batting pitch against a team like Afghanistan, there is no way Warner will not hit some big sixes. Zampa has been in great form. He has taken 22 wickets so far. India was the place to be for him. However, it is about time Starc showed his magic.
In the Afghanistan team, Rashid Khan and Rahmat Shah are in great form. Rahmat Shah will be crucial to their batting lineup. However, considering the previous India vs Sri Lanka game, Fazalhaq Farooqi can cause problems for the Aussie batters.
Possible playing 11
Australia has to look for Smith’s replacement. In a recent interview, he said that he is suffering from vertigo. And he was not feeling well. So, Marnus Labuschagne may take his place in the batting lineup.
Afghanistan is good at tactics when it comes to using their players. The pitch calls for Naveen-ul-Haq. And Naveen has a bone to pitch with against the Aussies as well. However, spinners have always caused more trouble for Australian batters. So, Noor Ahmad may come back.
Australia will win this match. They are in form, and the pitch is a batting pitch. The Aussie bowlers know how to control the situation even if the pitch is flat. Can Afghanistan bowlers contain Aussie batters the same way? I guess not.
Afghanistan won the toss, and they chose to bat first.
|Rahmanullah Gurbaz||Travis Head|
|Ibrahim Zadran||David Warner|
|Rahmat Shah||Mitchell Marsh|
|Hashmatullah Shahidi||Marnus Labuschagne|
|Azmatullah Omarzai||Josh Iglis|
|Mohammad Nabi||Glenn Maxwell|
|Ikram Alikhil||Marcus Stoinis|
|Rashid Khan||Mitchell Starc|
|Mujeeb ur Rahman||Pat Cummins|
|Noor Ahmad||Adam Zampa|
First Innings – Afghanistan
|AFGHANISTAN 291-5 (50 overs)|
|Ibrahim Zadran 129 (143)||39|
|Rashid Khan 35 (18)||14.00 start IST|
|Rahmat Shah 30 (44)||7 November 2023|
|TARGET||292 runs in 50 overs|
- If Australia is to earn a semi-final spot tonight, they must break a record at the Wankhede Stadium.
- Afghanistan batted brilliantly, led by opener Ibrahim Zadran, who finished undefeated on a 143-ball 129. His fifth ODI century and he is the first Afghan hitter to record a World Cup century.
- He was engaged in several partnerships, the most notable of which was an 83-run stand with Rahmat Shah for the second wicket.
- At times, it appeared they were not making the most of their hitting innings, but they had a strategy all along.
- They struck the trigger in the final few overs, with to some magnificent contributions by Azmatullah and Rashid Khan, the latter ending on an 18-ball unbeaten 35.
- For the most part, Australian bowling was on the spot, although several bowling variations by Pat Cummins were confusing.
Second Innings – Australia
|AUSTRALIA 293-7 (46.5 overs)|
|Glenn Maxwell 201 (128)||Rashid Khan 2-44|
|Mitchell Marsh 24 (11)||Naveen-ul-Haq 2-47|
|David Warner 18 (29)||Azmatullah Omarzai 2-52|
|RESULT||Australia won by 3 wickets at hand with 19 balls remaining|
- Australians were in a sticky when they lost 7 quick and cheap wickets. However, behold, Lord Maxwell, for blessing us with such an inning. The great Wasim Akram hailed him today as one of the best ODI players ever. That’s coming from WASIM AKRAM.
- Today was Glenn Maxwell’s world, and we all lived in it. The Big Performance put on the biggest performance at the Wankhede tonight despite having no feet, a damaged back, and a weary body.
- Unfortunately for the Afghans, their World Cup race is virtually over, but they can keep their heads high.
- Forget about the basics of the batting, footwork, using your case and whatnot, Maxwell redefined how you can bat. The way he just stood there and hit the balls out of the park, SWEET
Man of the match
MAXWELL HAS TO BE THE MAN OF THE MATCH. THERES NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.