This is 1st ODI Match between England and New Zealand CWC 2023 Highlights. The Match Will be played on 05 Oct 2023 At Narendra Modi Stadium, India. The kiwis absolutely dominated the game, winning by having 9 wickets at hand. You must scroll down to find the highlights. Also, the video may take a couple of seconds to load, so have patience. Thank you!
The World Cup opener is always a much-anticipated event. Especially when you see the greats like Sachin Tendulkar carry the trophy. It always warms your heart, fills you with nostalgia, and prepares you for the event.
Both teams aren’t with the squad they wanted to be with. Kane Williamson and Tim Southee from the Kiwis will be out of the playing 11 due to injuries. Jason Roy will not play for England. Hard Luck!
This article will discuss all the highlights of England vs New Zealand, Match 1 of the Cricket World Cup 2023. Are you ready for these live highlights? I bet you are.
England Vs New Zealand CWC 2023 Highlights
These are the match details. New Zealand won the toss and chose to field first. This looks like a batting pitch, and there are chances of dew in the game’s latter half. Hence, this seems to be a good decision.
|Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad|
|Match||England vs New Zealand|
|Match days||5 October 2023|
|Umpires||– Kumar Dharmasena|
– Nitin Menon
|TV Umpire||Paul Wilson|
|Match Referee||Javagal Srinath|
Here is the playing 11
|Jonny Bairstow||Devon Conway|
|Dawid Malan||Will Young|
|Joe Root||Rachin Ravindra|
|Harry Brook||Daryl Mitchell|
|Jos Buttler||Tom Latham|
|Moeen Ali||Glenn Phillips|
|Liam Livingstone||Mark Chapman|
|Chris Woakes||James Neesham|
|Sam Curran||Mitchell Santner|
|Adil Rashid||Matt Henry|
|Mark Wood||Trent Boult|
Here, we will discuss each team in detail and the leading turn of events in the match.
You can also join CWC 2023 WhatsApp Group.
First Innings – England
- Both the openers had an excellent start. Malan and Bairstow looked excellent.
- The initial run rate was almost 6. Trent Boult seems to be struggling. He was expensive in this first spell. However, Tom introduced Santner in the 6th over. That put a dent in the run flow.
- Matt Henry proved why he is one of the best ODI bowlers in the list and picked up Dawid Malan, England’s danger man. He went out for 14 (24)
- Bairstow was a menace until he stayed on the pitch. Maybe the stop in the run flow was too much. Santner took his wicket as Bairstow tried to clear the field and score a boundary. Unfortunately, Daryl Mitchells was waiting with a safe pair of hands. Santner got the danger man out for 33 (35)
- It was up to Harry Brooks and Joe Root to build a partnership. And they were slowly doing it, pushing the score to 94. Harry Brooks caught the momentum against Ravi Rachindra. Unfortunately, he got out after hitting two 4s and one sixer against the left-arm spinner. Too bad he was looking good.
- It was up to Moeen Ali and Joe Root now. Moeen was looking good on the pitch. But Tom Latham introduced Glen Philips. And the offspinner has done the job. He bowled the classical off-break round the wicket and got the left-hander’s off-stump. Brilliant bowling from Glenn.
- Joe Root and Jos Buttler stabilized the innings with their partnership. Meanwhile, Root crossed the 50-run mark at 57 deliveries.
- Latham brought Henry back in the attack, and it worked. He got an outside edge and got the skipper out on 43, breaking the 70-run partnership. Liam tried to hit quick runs, but Boult got him on 20.
- All hopes were on Joe Root. Unfortunately, Glenn Phillips got him out on 77. 9 overs remained, and the defending champs were in trouble.
- It was all on the shoulders of Sam Curran and Woakes. Henry and Santner got those wickets, keeping England’s score below what it could have been
- They could have been bowled out a lot earlier. The 30-run partnership between Adil and Wood added crucial runs, putting up a decent total on the board. New Zealand has to score 283 runs to win.
|Joe Root 77 (86)||Matt Henry 3-48|
|Jos Buttler 43 (42)||Mitchell Santner 2-37|
|Jonny Bairstow 33 (35)||Glenn Phillips 2-17|
2nd Innings – New Zealand
- The chase didn’t start well for the Kiwis at all. Will Young get out on the very first ball of this innings. Sam Curran bowled a fuller delivery. Buttler was excellent behind the stump and caught a good catch. New Zealand is in trouble.
- However, Devon Conway and Rachin Ravindra ensured they were out of this dismay. They build a solid partnership at an explosive run rate during the powerplay.
- And the runs didn’t stop after the powerplay. Both of them kept going and attacking the English bowlers. Spinners couldn’t provide a breakthrough at all. Runs kept raining for Devon and Rachin.
- Devon Conway is the man New Zealand will look forward to the most. He is best against Spin. He scored the first 100 of the Cricket World Cup 2023 on 83 deliveries. What a player, what an innings!
- Both Conway and Ravindra scored 200 runs in a mere 26 overs. They scored 200 runs in 178 balls together.
- And the young lad Rachin Ravindra scored 100 runs in 82 deliveries. You may say it is the rise of a new superstar in the New Zealand Cricket Team. He is the youngest Kiwi batsman to hit a century in a World Cup.
- Both of these batters chased the target. This 283-run partnership was some show for the opening match. What a game it was. England had no answers, and the Black Caps showed no mercy. BRUTAL from the youngster Ravi Rachindra and Devon Conway
|NEW ZEALAND 283-1|
|Devon Conway 152 (121)||Sam Curran 1-47|
|Rachin Ravindra 123 (96)||Moeen Ali 0-60|
|RESULT||Kiwis won by 9 wickets at hand|
Man of the match
Although Devon scored 152, it was the young Rachin Ravindra who got the man of the match award. What an innings it was from the youngster. He also got a wicket. Ravindra was expensive. But he will be celebrating the century he scored today. What an amazing young player. A lot of things to think about for the captain Kane Williamson and the New Zealand Management.