Isn’t this a high-stakes match? Sri Lanka and New Zealand will face each other on 9 November 2023 in Bengaluru. The rain ruined the party of the Kiwis last time. But can they save themselves from rain this time, too? And the Lankans will want to win some matches after the Bangladesh fiasco. What will happen in the match? Read the entire article about match previews, predictions, and later highlights. There will be ball-by-ball commentary under this paragraph as well.
This surely is going to be an entertaining competition. Are you going to choose not to see this match? Come on, man, what sort of a cricket fan are you? I bet you are not the fan to miss such a game. I will help you keep track of this match. Click on the link below and find out where you can catch the live stream in your region.
New Zealand struggles for the semi-finals.
The Kiwis started the tournament strong. They looked to be the strongest contenders in the competition. However, back-to-back losses against better and stronger teams meant they were in a tight spot to qualify for the knockout stages. Also, the loss against Pakistan meant they were in even more trouble. Pakistan is back in the game now. Even after scoring 401 runs in Bengaluru, they lost due to DL method.
New Zealand: Cricket World Cup 2023 New Zealand Squad [ANNOUNCED]
Sri Lanka’s efforts to qualify for the Champions trophy
Sri Lanka is in a tough situation after England won by 160 runs against the Netherlands. The Lankans are at 9th position on the table now. And they have to win this match, and somehow make it to the top 7 if they want to qualify for the Champions Trophy 2025 in Pakistan. Also, they must be furious after the Angelo Mathews – Shakib Al Hasan drama during their match against Bangladesh. Seems like this match will be interesting.
Sri Lanka: Sri Lanka Squad for World Cup 2023
|M Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru|
|Match||New Zealand vs Sri Lanka|
|Position on the points table||New Zealand = 4th|
Sri Lanka = 9th
|Starting time||14.00 start local time|
|Date||9 November 2023|
The weather is not very kind in New Zealand today as well. Reports earlier suggested a 60% chance of rain all day on 9 November. That has jumped to 90%. The Kiwis may get 1 point if the match is abandoned. However, they may win this on DLS, diminishing Pakistan’s chances for qualification. However, if the match is canceled, they will count on England winning their match against Pakistan on 11 November 2023.
This is a flat track. It is flat to the point where the flat-earthers use it as evidence for the Earth’s flat! I am just kidding. However, the pitch being batting-friendly is entirely accurate. The Black Caps scored 401 runs against the Pakistani bowling lineup on this same surface. Earlier in this tournament, Australia scored 350+ runs as well. Batting will decide who wins this match.
As discussed, the batters will decide who wins this match. This means that the Lankans will depend heavily on the likes of Nissanka, Asalanka, and Mendis. Mathews may also score some runs since Shakib has fired the old Mathews, who used to thrash the bowlers back in 2015. However, Mendis’s role will be crucial for the Lankans. He hasn’t been able to perform since he is at the helm of captaincy. However, it is about time he scored some runs.
In the New Zealand camp, Rachin Ravindra has come out as a hot commodity. He scored a quick ton at Bengaluru. The entire tournament has been like a dream for him. New Zealand has found its future in him. Sri Lankans have to be wary of him. But the one player they will have to keep some checks on is Devon Conway. The spinner-heavy attack in the Lankan side is like a freebee to Devon Conway, whose strike rate and average against spin have been phenomenal.
Probable playing 11
The Lankans may go unchanged. However, there might be some changes in the Kiwi playing 11.
Because the Lankans are not great players of pace bowling, they may play Lockie Ferguson instead of Ish Sodhi. Also, Sodhi’s performance against Pakistan wasn’t a good sight. This is not a match the Black Caps will send their out-of-form bowlers to. Hence, this might be a change in their squad.
If the rain doesn’t ruin the play, the Kiwis will win this match. They have a far superior batting lineup and a phenomenal display on this pitch with them. Keeping these factors in mind, it is highly likely that the Kiwis will win this match.
New Zealand won the toss and chose to field first.
|SRI LANKA||NEW ZEALAND|
|Pathum Nissanka||Devon Conway|
|Kusal Perera||Rachin Ravindra|
|Kusal Mendis||Kane Williamson|
|Sadeera Samarawikrama||Daryl Mitchell|
|Charith Asalanka||Mark Chapman|
|Angelo Mathews||Glenn Philips|
|Dhananjaya de Silva||Tom Latham|
|Chamika Karunaratne||Mitchell Santner|
|Maheesh Theekshana||Lockie Ferguson|
|Dushmantha Chameera||Tim Southee|
|Dilshan Madushanka||Trent Boult|
First Innings – Sri Lanka
|SRI LANKA 171-10 (46.4 overs)|
|Kusal Perera 51 (28)||Trent Boult 3-37|
|Maheesh Theekshana 38 (91)||Mitchell Santner 2-22|
|Dhananjaya de Silva 19 (24)||Rachin Ravindra 2-21|
|TARGET||172 runs in 50 overs|
- Boult and Southee did what they are best known for. Kusal Perera countered for Sri Lanka’s second-quickest World Cup fifty (22 balls), but Ferguson caught him quickly.
- Mathews resisted, but Santner surprised them with flight, turn, and bounce. Just as New Zealand felt they could go for the kill with their pacers bowling out promptly, the lower order fought valiantly to keep the game alive.
- The final two wickets added 58 runs to the total. Boult bowled brilliantly for a three-wicket haul. New Zealand is expected to win easily.
- This is not a pleasant sight for the Lankans, but they have seen worse. However, the ones hurting the most right now are PCT fans. It seems like they have lost their World Cup campaign now.
Second Innings – New Zealand
|NEW ZEALAND 172-5 (23.2 overs)|
|Devon Conway 45 (42)||Angelo Mathews 2-29|
|Daryl Mitchell 43 (31)||Dushmantha Chameera 1-20|
|Rachin Ravindra 42 (34)||Maheesh Theekshana 1-43|
|RESULT||New Zealand won by 5 wickets at hand, with 160 balls left|
- New Zealand wins convincingly after a streak of setbacks. They’re back on track and appear to be on course to go to the semi-finals.
- It was a disappointment not only for Sri Lanka but also for Afghanistan and Pakistan, who had been watching intently. Afghanistan is out of the competition, and Pakistan must perform a miracle against England.
- So, the Kiwis can be sure that a job well done has been completed today. 172 would never be a tricky chase, especially on an immaculate batting surface, and they set themselves up perfectly with the ball.
- At the top of the order, Ravindra and Conway were free-flowing, and after they got past the new ball to share an 86-run stand, Sri Lanka didn’t stand a chance.
- Mitchell walked in and hit a few before Phillips slammed the door shut.
- Sri Lanka required wickets early on to make a game of it, and they simply did not get them. Madushanka, who had been outstanding throughout the competition, finished wicketless, and while 5 wickets were finally lost, New Zealand was never in danger.
- This defeat also dashes Sri Lanka’s chances of qualifying for the Champions Trophy.
Man of the match
Boult is a big-match player. He always performs whenever it matters the most. Now that the knockout stages are here, we will see a lot more from him.
This was a batting pitch. But the way he has bowled economically and took those early wickets had set a tone for the match