Want to watch the thrilling match between Pakistan and Sri Lanka? Here are the highlights.
Pakistan and Sri Lanka played their must-win match on 14 September 2023. This was a must-win match for Pakistan, as they had to do well to qualify for the finals. As for Sri Lanka, even if the rain had cancelled the play, they were superior to Pakistan regarding NRR.
But that doesn’t mean this game wasn’t thrilling and entertaining. You enjoy only a few matches more than any tournament final. I bet the broadcasters made more money during this match than they will make during the India vs Sri Lanka Final.
Check: Asia Cup 2023 Live Streaming
Here is how things turned out to be. You have seen the highlights. But we will provide detailed insights into this game.
1st Innings – Pakistan 252/7
Rain gave a lot of scares today for Pakistan. The ball was turning as it was in the match between India and Sri Lanka. Things were hell for the openers. And that is why we saw a batting collapse early on. Only Abdullah looked comfortable. Things could have been worse for Pakistan if not for Rizwan and Iftikhar.
- Fakhar Zaman had another tough day at work as he missed a straight one. Abdullah Shafique, his partner, was a little nervous initially, but he survived a few near LBW shouts and then hit an eye-catching fifty.
- Conversely, Babar also looked terrific but was dismissed by Wellalage, who tends to dismiss world-class hitters.
- Pakistan were in trouble at 130/5 after 27.4 overs, but the rains intervened and completely changed their fortunes.
- As Ifthikhar and Rizwan took advantage of better batting conditions, the ball spun less and became slightly moist.
- Rizwan made the most of the improved batting conditions.
- Rizwan bounced it around and took smart chances to finish with 86 runs, while Iftikhar showed some big-boy power to score a useful 47.
- As DLS revised the target, Sri Lanka has to chase 252 instead of 253.
|Mohammad Rizwan 86 (73)||Matheesha Pathirana 3-65|
|Abdullah Shafique 52 (69)||Pramod Madushan 2-58|
|Iftikhar Ahmed 47 (40)||Dunith Wellalage 1-40|
2nd Innings – Sri Lanka 252/8
Sri Lanka were never out of this chase. They had a behemoth task of chasing 252 in 42 overs. However, their batters did considerably well, showcasing that they were playing at their home. As usual, Kusal Mendis was one of those batters that made it possible for Sri Lanka to win. Only the last few overs scared the batters. Pakistani bowlers made it entertaining. But the fate was not on their side.
- In the end, Charith Asalanka emerges as the hero, throwing a whole stadium into madness with the most casual flicks behind square.
- Pakistan started the innings slowly, but a Shadab Khan run-out jolted them into action.
- Both openers were out early, but Sadeera Samarawickrama and Kusal Mendis led Lanka through the middle period.
- As Pakistan appeared to be at a loss for ideas, the duo accumulated 100 runs for the third wicket.
- Iftikhar Ahmed took a gamble, shattering the partnership and dismissing Kusal Mendis and Shanaka.
- Pakistan were done and dusted until Shaheen Afridi produced a brilliant last over, capturing two wickets and giving only four runs.
|SRI LANKA 252-8|
|Kusal Mendis 91 (87)||Iftikhar Ahmed 3-50|
|Charith Asalanka 49 (47)||Shaheen Shah Afridi 2-52|
|Sadeera Samarawickrama 48 (51)||Shadab Khan 1-55|
Man of the match
Kusal Mendis has been crucial to Sri Lanka’s victories for the past few matches. Since the cricket World Cup qualifiers, he has been the anchor that has saved the ship from sinking a lot of times. However, there was no sinking ship today. It was a clear day for the Sri Lankan cruise as they sailed smoothly due to Kusal’s 91 runs. He won the Man of the Match award due to his impactful innings.