So the first qualifier was played on 15 March 2023 between Lahore Qalandars 2024 Team and Multan Sultans. It was quite an anti-climatic show for a high-profile PSL season qualifier match. We have seen matches where teams scored more than 200 runs. And surprisingly, those targets were chased as well. So if a team puts a target of 161 runs on the scoreboard, the match becomes boring for the stadium crowd.
The reigning champions were at the top of the points table. At the same time, Multan Sultans qualified for the spot in the first qualifier. The Sultans had to win this match to qualify straight into the finals for the third consecutive time. So they were aiming for the hat trick. At the same time, the defending champs want to become the first team ever to defend a PSL title.
You can view PSL 2024 Draft Here.
But the Qalandars failed to win this match, and Multan went straight to the finals. Want to know the details? Start reading.
|GADDAFI STADIUM LAHORE
|Lahore Qalandars v Multan Sultans
|Wednesday, March 15, 2023
The Sultans won the toss and they decided to bat first. Let’s see how they batted their way to a good score.
|Shaheen Shah Afridi
- The Sultans get a good start from Usman Khan and Rizwan. They survived the powerplay and scored a decent number of runs.
- They made a 50-run partnership until Haris got Usman on a slower one and got him out in the 8th over.
- After that, Rilee disappointed the Sultans this time. He went out early after making only 13 runs on 12 deliveries.
- The magical Rashid got the dangerous wicket of Rizwan on 33 runs. He was looking good but the googly did the job and got the skipper out.
- In the final overs, Pollard and Tim David steered the team to a decent score. Pollard scored a quick fifty while David made 22 runs in 15 deliveries.
- Shaheen couldn’t do the trick with the ball today as well. He went expensive. But the Magician Rashid khan compensated for it and restrained the opposition.
- Haris Rauf did a good job with the bowl and took three wickets. At the same time, Wiese was cunning and didn’t let the Sultans make more runs.
- Let’s see how Lahore Qalandars chased this target.
|MULTAN SULTANS 160-5
|Kieron Pollard 57(34)
|Haris Rauf 3-34
|Mohammad Rizwan 33(29)
|Rashid Khan 1-18
|Usman Khan 29(28)
|Zaman Khan 1-36
- Lahore Qalandars didn’t get a good start. Anwar Ali and Cottrell didn’t let the batsmen move that much. They went quickly without making any impact.
- Qalandar lost three wickets in the powerplay, and that includes the wicket of Fakhar Zaman as well. Fakhar’s wicket was a turning point as he was the danger man for the Qalandars. It was obvious that Multan Sultans had to take his wicket earlier to win the match.
- Billings showed some resistance but he was the only batsman to show a decent score. But he got out early as well.
- In the end, Haris did try to show some heroics with the bat, but batting isn’t the place where he belongs. So he could only do so much. He went out making 15 runs. Still better than most of their batting lineup.
- Definitely, Sheldon Cottrell is the star of the show. He took wickets and kept the runs under control. Anwar Ali had a good time on the pitch as well. Usama Mir got two quick wickets as well.
|LAHORE QALANDARS 76-10
|Sam Billings 19(27)
|Usama Mir 2-12
|Haris Rauf 15(13)
|Sheldon Cottrell 3-20
|David Wiese 12(12)
|Abbas Afridi 1-5
Man of the match
The old Pollard is back. He has been instrumental in the success of the Sutlans so far. Whether it is batting or bowling, he has been an impact player in the team. Doesn’t matter what the situation is, he has performed. He is a great fielder, and will not hesitate to score big if the situation demands. And this is what he did in this match.
What is going to happen next?
Multan Sultans go straight to the finale. So they will be playing the final on 23 March 20233. What will happen to the defending champions is that they have to win the next qualifier. They will either play against the United or the Peshawar Zalmis in their second match. Islamabad United and Peshawar Zalmi will play the eliminator on 16 March 2023. Whoever wins that match will play against the Qalandars. BUT THE SULTANS GO RIGHT INTO THE GRAND FINALE FOR THE THIRD CONSECUTIVE TIME.