WPL 2023 Highlights: Gujarat Giants v Delhi Capitals Women Match 14
If you want to know what happened in the 14th match of WPL between Gujarat Giants and Delhi Capitals women, this is the right place to be. Gujarat Giants have a weaker position on the points table. At the same time, the Delhi Capitals are at the top, along with Mumbai Indian women. Gujarat Giants want the 2 points from today’s match to get a higher standing. At the same time, Delhi Capitals want to win this match to get a ticket straight to the finals.
Were these teams able to get what they wanted from this match? Well, read this article to find out.
Gujarat Giants v Delhi Capitals
|Brabourne Stadium, Mumbai|
|Date||Thursday, March 16, 2023|
|Match||Delhi Capitals women v Gujarat Giants|
|TV Umpire||Chirra Ravikanthreddy|
|Reserve Umpire||Gayathri Venugopalan|
|Match Referee||Rajni Basnet|
Things have started well for the Capital girls. They won the toss and opted to bowl first. Will Gujarat Giants be able to win this contest? Let’s find out.
|GUJARAT GIANTS WOMEN||DELHI CAPITALS WOMEN|
|Sophia Dunkley||Meg Lanning|
|Laura Wolvaardt||Shafali Verma|
|Harleen Deol||Alice Capsey|
|Ashleigh Gardner||Jemimah Rodrigues|
|Dayalan Hemalatha||Marizanne Kapp|
|Ashwani Kumari||Jess Jonassen|
|Sushma Verma||Taniya Bhatia|
|Sneh Rana||Arundhati Reddy|
|Tanuja Kanwar||Radha Yadav|
|Kim Garth||Shikha Pandey|
|Mansi Joshi||Poonam Yadav|
- Gujarat Giants began slowly, yet they’ve performed well to make an impressive total.
- Dunkley left quickly as Kapp tucked her out.
- Wolvaardt and Harleen then batted wisely to help steady the ship.
- They did, however, pass up some exciting prospects. Jonassen beat the latter, but the actual dynamic change came later in the shape of Gardner.
- She was aggressive from the start, which wore off on Wolvaardt.
- The opener established her repertoire and altered gears flawlessly. They scored fast in the middle overs, which allowed them to re-enter the game.
Delhi Capitals women
- Delhi lost Verma during the initial over, as Meg Lanning failed to make a big run.
- Alice Capsey seemed potential, but Jemimah threw her in the water, and the Indian batter was also discharged quickly.
- Marizanne Kapp landed a couple of hard strikes, but she, too, was knocked out by a straight hit.
- The Gujarat Giants’ bowlers hunted in groups, and their top three bowlers each took two wickets, but Arundhati Reddy ultimately frightened them.
- She demonstrated to her top-order counterparts how to hit over the playing area on this surface, hitting four boundaries and reducing it to a run per ball.
- Nevertheless, on her final over, Kim Garth took the decisive wicket, and Ashleigh Gardner went back to finish the job.
- Gujarat has scored a significant victory. And that too against one of the tournament’s top teams so far.
|Delhi Capitals won the toss and chose to bowl first.|
|GUJARAT GIANTS 147-4|
|Laura Wolvaardt 57(45)||Jess Jonassen 2-38|
|Ashleigh Gardner 51(33)||Marizanne Kapp 1-24|
|Harleen Deol 31(33)||Arundhati Reddy 1-25|
|Target = 148 runs|
|DELHI CAPITALS 136-10|
|Marizanne Kapp 36(29)||Kim Garth 2-18|
|Arundhati Reddy 25(17)||Ashleigh Gardner 2-19|
|Alice Capsey 22(11)||Tanuja Kanwar 2-29|
|RESULT = Gujarat Giants won by 11 runs|
|PoM = Ashleigh Gardner|
Player of the match
Ashleigh Gardner deserved this spot with her all-round performance. A quick fifty and impressive bowling figures, what else do you need from a T20 player? That is phenomenal from Ashleigh.