Australia vs Netherlands will happen on 25 October 2023 in Delhi. This will be tough for the Dutch, while the Australians look forward to gobbling up some points and building momentum. You can read all about the match here in this article. However, we got something special for you. You will get to see the highlights and commentary right under this paragraph. Just scroll past the ads or wait a few seconds for the video to load.
Tournament so far
For Australia, it has been a rough time so far in this tournament. But you cannot blame them for the tough matches so far. Their opener was against the hosts, India. The Australia vs South Africa CWC 2023 match was unfortunate for the Aussies. However, they built some momentum during the Australia vs Sri Lanka CWC 2023 game and defeated Pakistan.
If we talk about the Netherlands, they only have won against the South Africans. The Netherlands vs South Africa CWC 2023 game was quite an upset. The Proteas were dominating the tournament. However, this was a high point for the Dutch. They will want to continue with the same flare. And it isn’t like skipper Scott Edwards does not have that.
He is playing against the country where he was born. You can say he has also introduced the same Aussie mindset in the Dutch. This makes the game interesting, I reckon.
|Arun Jaitley Stadium, Delhi|
|Game||Australia vs Netherlands|
|Time||2 pm local time|
|Date||25 October 2023|
|TV Umpire||Marais Erasmus|
|Reserve Umpire||Nitin Menon|
|Match Referee||Andy Pycroft|
Bas de Leede will be the key player for the Dutch. His all-round performance has been commendable so far. His display with the new ball has earned the Netherlands some wickets. Aryan Dutt can catch the teams in the powerplay with his spin. However, Colin Ackerman can be the X factor for the Dutch in their bowling. Scott Edwards may come in and score some big runs as well.
For the Aussies, Starc and Hazelwood have to jump in. They haven’t taken a wicket in the powerplay yet. And this is hurting the Aussies. This is a very “Not Aussie Fast Bowler” performance from them. Smith and Warner are obvious choices. But I am going with Mitchell Marsh as Australia’s main batter in this match. There’s a big ton from him. I can smell it.
Probable playing 11
It ain’t wise for either of the sides to change their winning combinations. Even if Travis is back, including him in the playing 11 doesn’t make sense if you are winning matches. Marsh is scoring, Warner has scored a ton, and Labuschagne is their stable batter.
The same goes for the Dutch. They will not change the combination that handed South Africa their only defeat.
Win the toss and bat first. This is that sort of a pitch. Batters will play a huge role here. So, any team that wins the toss has to come on the pitch and score more than 300. You do not want to defend anything less than that. The scorecard pressure will do the rest. South Africa has scored 438 here. This tells you a lot about how this surface behaves. You might say that they were playing against a weaker side. But that weaker side made 326 in return. So yeah, a nightmare for bowlers.
Australia will win this match. There is no doubt about it. Only a miracle from here will be able to save the Netherlands from an Aussie side that has picked up the momentum from the previous wins against Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
Australia won the toss, and they chose to bat first. Things have started well for the Aussies. This pitch will behave well for the batters.
|Mitchell Marsh||Vikramjit SIngh|
|David Warner||Max O’Dowd|
|Steven Smith||Colin Ackerman|
|Marnus Labuschagne||Bas de Leede|
|Josh Inglis||Sybrand Engelbrecht|
|Glenn Maxwell||Scott Edwards|
|Cameron Green||Teja Nidamanuru|
|Pat Cummins||Logan van Beek|
|Mitchell Starc||Roelof van der Merwe|
|Adam Zampa||Aryan Dutt|
|Josh Hazelwood||Paul van Meekeren|
First Innings – Australia
|AUSTRALIA 399-8 (50 overs)|
|Glenn Maxwell 106 (44)||Logan van Beek 4-74|
|David Warner 104 (93)||Bas de Leede 2-115|
|Steven Smith 71 (68)||Aryan Dutt 1-59|
|TARGET||Netherlands needs 400 runs in 50 overs|
- There are too many records breaking in a single World Cup. This is too much. One cannot see so many records broken in a single tournament.
- The Netherlands did well in the middle, taking three wickets in 19 balls, but Glenn Maxwell arrived, saw, and conquered.
- Australia was 268/5 at the time, and Green was quickly run out. Maxi was the lone big hitter at the crease, and this might have easily been a 330 total, but Maxwell unleashed his reverse sweeps on the Netherlands bowlers and destroyed them.
- They bowled slot/short, hoping for yorkers and to fool Maxwell, who pounced on every ball. Fifty from 26 balls, 100 off 40 balls for the fastest World Cup century ever.
- The 48th and 49th overs yielded 21 and 28 runs, respectively. Following Marsh’s early dismissal, Warner and Smith laid a solid foundation.
- Smith was out due to van der Merwe’s stunning catch, only minutes after his catch off Warner was overturned because it was grounded.
- There are huge smiles in the Aussie dugout. What a performance, especially from Maxi. Take a bow!
Second Innings – Netherlands
|NETHERLANDS 90-10 (21 overs)|
|Vikramjit Singh 25 (25)||Adam Zampa 4-8|
|Teja Nidamanuru 14 (18)||Mitchell Marsh 2-19|
|Scott Edwards 12 (22)||Pat Cummins 1-14|
|RESULT||Australia won by 309 runs|
- Australia has the highest-ever run differential in CWC history. This is a crushing defeat for the Netherlands.
- Even they could not have predicted such a devastating defeat. It was always going to be difficult for the men in orange after Australia reached 399 on the back of tons from Warner and Maxwell.
- Starc scored first, and a run-out sent back Vikramjit Singh, who was looking excellent. It was all one-way traffic from there.
- Mitch Marsh, who hadn’t bowled in a while, helped himself to a 2-fer before Zampa came on and picked up a cheap four-fer to go with his previous two comparable hauls.
- After a slow start to the campaign, he has since taken 12 wickets in his past three outings. He is genuinely recovered, as is Australia.
- This victory will increase their NRR as well, and they are now strong candidates not just to make the semis but also to go all the way and win it.
- This is also similar to the 1999 Cricket World Cup. Australia lost at first. But those losses awakened an Aussie side that dominated for years in this tournament. Are we going to see the boogieman make a return?
Man of the Match
Glenn Maxwell has to be the man of the match for today. This man just came in and broke Aiden Markram’s record for the fastest century in the tournament’s history. This helped the Aussies win by the highest margins in this tournament’s history. Again, too many records being broken in a single day. It’s too much to handle.