Pakistan vs Sri Lanka. This brings good memories for some. For others, it brings up some traumatic experiences. Pakistan will look forward to avoiding their mistakes from the Asia Cup 2023 match against Sri Lanka. Or will Sri Lanka win again? We request you to wait for a couple of seconds. The video will load, and you can follow the match. Also, scroll till the end to read the highlights and live blog. Let’s have some fun together.
Pakistan entered the party with a bang. They did stumble at the start of their innings against the Netherlands. However, they came back in the show. The pace bowling from Haris, Hasan, and Shaheen kept them in the loop.
Sri Lanka took a lot of beating from South Africa. A lot of ICC World Cup records were broken that day. Unfortunately, Sri Lanka was at the opposite end of that. They fought well but look forward to improving their NRR and earning some points.
Match details – Pakistan vs Sri Lanka
|Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium, Uppal, Hyderabad|
|Match||Pakistan vs Sri Lanka|
|Time||2 pm local time.|
|Match days||10 October 2023|
There are many ways you can enjoy the match live. Many broadcasters have seen the potential in this industry and have worked to increase the qualify of live streams in Cricket World Cup 2023. You can check out the article for detailed information.
For fans in UAE or Gulf countries, you can download Starzplay. This application has started streaming the matches for the Arab world. Aramco is one of the sponsors. And many Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, and Sri Lankans work in these countries. So, it makes sense to have a platform for them.
In Pakistan, you can watch the matches live on Tamasha, Daraz, and Shoq app. Tamasha’s website works pretty okay as well. A good news for Pakistani viewers.
The Indian fans can watch the makes on Hotstar. As far as the fans in the UK and New Zealand are concerned, you can use the Sky Sports application.
Pak vs SL – Prediction
Now, let’s jump to predictions. Who will win this match? Will Pakistan jump back from their defeat in Colombo? Or will Sri Lanka finally get some points on the scorecard?
Pakistan Squad: Pakistan Squad for ICC World Cup 2023 [Announced]
Sri Lankan Team: Sri Lanka Squad for World Cup 2023
|Babar Azam||Kusal Mendis|
|Shaheen Shah Afridi||Dunith Wellalage|
|Saud Shakeel||Dhanajaya de Silva|
|Haris Rauf||Dasun Shanaka|
On Pakistan’s side, you can never write off Babar and Shaheen. That is a given. However, two dark horses have finally made a scene. You can say they are not dark horses anymore. Saud Shakeel performed against the Netherlands.
However, he also knows how to play the Lankan bowlers. If you give him a chance, he will score big on the scorecard. Haris Rauf was getting some reverse swing, which makes him lethal for the batters in the middle and death.
On Sri Lanka’s side, the skipper is the man you should look out for. However, players like Wellalage and Asalanka can give Pakistan a tough time. Pakistan batters are struggling against the spin. And this is the best time to add Theekshana to the squad. If he gets well, Pakistan is in big trouble.
Who will win?
Pakistan hasn’t won an ODI match against Sri Lanka since 2019. In major tournaments, Sri Lanka beat Pakistan comfortably in the Asia Cup 2023 match. If you ask a random fan from Pakistan, he or she would say that the Pakistan team hasn’t been able to perform well since the Asia Cup. It will be a big wall to climb for Pakistan. They have to win this one; however, Sri Lanka is not in the home conditions. They are also without their crucial bowler, Theekshana.
You can say that Pakistan has a better chance of winning this game.
Match 8 highlights
We will update this section live during the match.
Sri Lanka won the toss, and they chose to bat first. This will be interesting to see. Is Shaheen’s wicket incoming? Or will Hasan Ali do the trick?
|Imam ul Haq||Pathum Nissanka|
|Abdullah Shafique||Kusal Perera|
|Babar Azam||Kusal Mendis|
|Saud Shakeel||Sadeera Samarawickrama|
|Mohammad Rizwan||Charith Asalanka|
|Iftikhar Ahmad||Dhananjaya de Silva|
|Shadab Khan||Dasun Shanaka|
|Mohammad Nawaz||Dunith Wellalage|
|Shaheen Shah Afridi||Maheesh Theekshana|
|Hasan Ali||Dilshan Madushanka|
|Haris Rauf||Matheesha Pathirana|
Sri Lanka – First innings
|SRI LANKA 344-9 (50 overs)|
|Kusal Mendis 122 (77)||Hasan Ali 4-71|
|Samarawickrama 108 (89)||Haris Rauf 2-64|
|Pathum Nissanka 51 (61)||Mohammad Nawaz 1-62|
- Kusal Perera went first, but the Kusal Mendis show followed. He showed his ability to hit eight sixes in the first powerplay against South Africa, and he went one better tonight.
- Mendis played with Nissanka, who batted effectively for his 50 at first, and then it was his show after Nissanka left.
- The bowling, particularly that of Shadab, who bowled consistently poorly.
- Mendis’ cuts were short and broad, and I lost count of how many he took off the leggie.
- When Rauf went short, he was dumped over a deep square leg, and Babar and company appeared to be lost on the field. Mendis decided to go for it after his hundred and holed out.
- But Samarawickrama persisted and performed admirably. He was a pleasing stroke player and went undiscovered to a 100.
- Pakistan attempted a comeback when Mendis was dismissed, with Hasan Ali taking a couple of wickets, but Sri Lanka will be content with 344.
2nd Innings – Pakistan
|PAKISTAN 345-4 (48.2 overs)|
Pakistan won by 6 wickets at hand
|Mohammad Rizwan 131* (121)||Dilshan Madushanka 2-60|
|Abdullah Shafique 113 (103)||Maheesh Theekshana 1-59|
|Saud Shakeel 31 (30)||Matheesha Pathirana 1-90|
- What a run chase it was. It was the highest run chase by Pakistan in their ODI history and the highest run chase in the history of the Cricket World Cup. This also means it was Pakistan’s highest run-chase in the tournament’s history. A lot of records were broken today. And Pakistan did that by 6 wickets at hand and 10 balls remaining.
- Things didn’t start well for Pakistan. Imam got out on a short ball in a similar fashion he got out against the Dutch. Babar came to the rescue. However, he got out as well. Honestly, this was the moment most of the fans let go of their hopes. The highest Pakistan had ever chased was 265. It was understandable.
- However, the Lahore prince, Abdullah Shafique, and Mohammed Rizwan had something else in mind. They built a partnership of 176 runs in 156 deliveries.
- Unfortunately, Abdullah got out as well. But Saud Shakeel, the hero from the last game, built a 95-run stand with Rizwan to steer the boat closer to the shore. Rizwan gave some injury scares as well. But it was all okay. Or that is what we hope for. Saud got out after scoring 31 runs.
- Ultimately, Rizwn and Iftikhar took the Lankan bowlers to cleaners, chasing 344 runs with 10 balls remaining. WHAT A MATCH!!!
Man of the match
Rizwan won the man of the match award. His innings made history today. Pakistan is not known for run-chases. However, Rizzler has broken a mental wall. He has taken the team the confidence it needs.